Saturday, August 22, 2009

Power-Up!

Well, we have been discussing for some time now, killing our biggest rooster, Power-Up. He is very agressive and has attacked everyone in the family. We don't want the kids (or us!) seriously hurt, so we knew he needed to go! Just hadn't found time to go thru the process of killing him and cooking him!
Today as I sat in my office at the house, a little 8 yr old Mexican boy knocked on my door and said,"My mom is in the van and has a question for you". I put on my shoes and walked out.
She said, "I want buy your hen!(What?) "Hen! I want buy your hen!" Ohhhh! (I was catchin on now - I'm quick like that!)
Now all my 13 chickens and 2 roosters are free range which means they roam around our yard during the day. She was pointing to my chickens. So, I said, "You want one to eat?" She said, "Yes - special day!" So, since my hens have just started laying eggs and I don't know which ones are doing all the laying yet, I don't really have any desire to get rid of any of my hens. . . but I said, "How much do you want to pay?" The mexican man said, "$5 or $6? Whatever."
So, I pointed to Power-Up and said, "You see that big rooster over there? If you can catch him, you can have him for $10!" Well, after hearing that (evidently I should have upped my price!) all 5 of them piled out of the van to capture their prize!
So, with 5 of them and the kids and I, we managed to catch him. They hung him by his legs -
who knew they become instantly docile/calm when you do that! - and off they went in their mini van with Power-Up still hanging upside down!
I was $10 richer, and had gotten rid of the problem rooster!! Woohoo!! Happy day! :-)
Power-Up was a gorgeous looking rooster, but unstable, so other than one sad plea from Hoper, "Pleez don take my woostuh!" we are all happy to see him go! And even Hope is happy he won't "get" her anymore! :-)
It will be interesting to see what happens to the pecking order now, being as the dominant male is gone. Guess "Tifa", our little bantam rooster will have to step up to the plate!
Power-Up "owned" most of the hens, so Tifa will be excited to be top dog for a change! :-)

No comments: