Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Here's Blackie! He's a Holstein and he's got one of the best appetites of all our calves. He's not shy, he'll just push the bigger calves out of the way and start to eatin!
And here we have Brownie. He's a Jersey and doesn't look much different than the first pic I posted of him cause he's a slow grower. But we think he's pretty cute! And he's probably the tamest of the bunch. (Not that handy when you are trying to corral him as he's not afraid of you, but won't really come to you either!)
Here are our two Hereford heifers. They are quite a bit bigger than the other two. We had to catch all four of these calves yesterday (convince them to go from the large pasture into a horse trailer, with little to nothing to assist us) and we did it! I was so proud of us! Nothing gets your heart (ok, my heart) pounding, quite like a 400 lb critter running straight at ya and you have to pretend you aren't scared and stand your ground! Our whole family (except Hope in the pickup) stood in a sort of rainbow around them and just herded them towards the trailer. Eventually they walked right in to the trailer and we used a gate inside to hold them (one by one) against the side as a sort of chute and doctored them right up. How I wish I had gotten pictures of that! My husband is very creative! And it's such fun - even though it's hot, humid work in this weather.
Did you know that WD-40 is what you can use on cow's eyes when they have pink eye? You just spray it right into and around their eyes! It doesn't burn, so they don't mind it. I love learning good old fashioned farmer tricks like that!!
When I went out to feed the calves this morning, I took this picture out my pickup window. It was so pretty with the sun shining behind the tree, onto the dew-wet corn! So peaceful out there in the basin!

3 comments:

Roger said...

Did you ever think you would be a "country girl"...and love it?

Roger

Roger said...

Thanks for the pictures of the calves...looks like they are growing! But dairy calves don't gain like the beef breeds...the Holstein calf will get some size, but the gurnsey probably won't get too big.

Roger

Roger said...

Oh yes, I like the look of the herfords...they'll do!

Roger