Friday, June 26, 2009

I had the neatest thing happen this morning! I was at the kitchen window when I heard a really strange noise - almost like a baby yelping for help. I was just about to go out and investigate in the trees, where my chickens like to hang out, when I heard it again! Only this time it was more clear . . . "cock-a-doodle-doooo!" One of my roosters was crowing for the very first time!!
That's him above. I was so proud! And soooo excited! And cock-a-doodle-doo doesn't really describe the sound very good, but if I typed "urr, urr, urr, urrooo!" you might not know what I meant! :-)
It was my little red bantam who was supposed to be a hen, so has the unfortunate name of Latifa! But I have to say, even being such a petite little thing, with such a girlie name. . . he knows how to crow! He crowed about 6 times and then hasn't done it since. I can't wait for tomorrow to hear it again! Maybe we will have to call him Lattie or something a little more manly to make it up to him!
The other chicken that Beau named Power-Up, we are pretty sure is a rooster too, but we are still waiting for him to crow! :-)  He's a big one as you can see below. . . and I think he just looks like a guy! (Sorry about it, if you are really a girl, Power-Up!)
Here is Hope holding one of our Rhode Island Red hens. They are so sweet tempered!
 

2 comments:

Roger said...

Love the Chicken pictures...When do the eggs come?

roger

Renee said...

What fun to have roosters crowing to you at your house! Wish I could hear them, too, but I think I am just a bit too far away!